Italian Sweet Sausage and Bean Soup/Stew*
This stuff is so yummy I double the recipe and with my son the Marine around here it’s gone in a few days. Try this with the low sodium broth and then salt to taste.
- 3 cups (more or less*) chicken broth or stock – low sodium
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion – sautéed until just beginning to caramelize on the edge – this is where they are sweetest.
- 1 package Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage (or any other flavor but sweet is my favorite)
- 2 cans drained (and rinsed) cannellini or substitutions can be made with great northern or white navy beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes – Italian seasoned
- 1/2 tsp. salt or salt substitute – to your liking
- Slit the casing on the sausage with a sharp knife and remove the meat. In a medium hot skillet brown the meat until cooked though, mashing and stirring it frequently. I like it to have a little ‘browning’ to the surface. Drain and place in the crockpot.
- Sautee the onions; add to crockpot.
- Drain and lightly rinse cannellinis; add to crockpot.
- Add the entire contents of the Italian flavored diced tomatoes to the crockpot.
- Add chicken broth to the crockpot. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the entire contents.
- Set crockpot to low and let simmer all day. I found this quite ready to eat after 4 hours on high.
- Try adding a cup of rice to it about half an hour before serving.
- You can serve with grated Parmesan on top.
- *You can add chicken broth or water. Make it as ‘soupy’ or as ‘stew-like’ as you prefer.
” This plan is way too ingenious to fail for the fourth time ….. “